Cary worked as a Drilling Engineer and related fields in the Oil and Gas Industry from 1972 to 1997. During that time his specialty was advanced and high temperature drilling fluids and drilling optimization. Cary has worked in the GSHP industry since 1997 and has been involved in the design and implementation of over 40,000 tons (140 MW) of installed capacity in North America. He is president and CEO of Sound Geothermal. SGT is a design engineering firm, manufacturer's representative, and distributor for ground source heat pump equipment and accessories. The company is active throughout the western United States and has projects in a total of 31 states. Cary pioneered many hybrid and district energy systems. His projects range from HUD housing to industrial facilities and University Campuses to NASCAR facilities. Cary is a founding member of the GreyEdge Group.
Areas of Expertise
Applying a “Systems” approach to GHPC design is a key to making systems function economically, correctly and with a minimum carbon footprint. This requires complete integration of the Ground Heat Exchanger(GHE), mechanical piping, and controls. As an early adopter of this approach, we have been able to integrate systems from several HUD homes to University campuses. Mixed use applications in City-scape and Campus environments provide ideal opportunity to bring together wasted energy collection and re-use that energy (Energy HighwayTM); significantly increasing System Coefficient of Performance (SCOP). This approach not only increases efficiency or Least Energy PathTM) but also dramatically reduces greenhouse gas emission and water consumption.
- Assessments to determine economic and technical feasibility of GSHP systems for commercial GSHP projects
- Design and implementation of ground source heat pump systems and associated ground heat exchangers
- Large scale Distributed (District) Energy Systems)
- Control and Sequence of Control review and optimization
- Forensic analysis of failed or poorly operating GSHP systems
- Workshops and training seminars for designers of commercial and residential GSHP systems (Accredited IGSHPA Trainer)
Notable Projects & Achievements
- Cashman Equipment Henderson Facility, Cashman Equipment, Las Vegas, Nevada. ~ 500,000 ft2. (LEED & Hybrid) 900 tons. Multi Building Community Loop
- 250,000 ft2, six -building Hospital Campus, Extended Care Facility, Doctors Clinics, Same Day Surgery, Emergency, Women’s OB Center – Add community loop design to interconnect existing buildings with the main hospital and future buildings.
- 2007 - Present Mesa State College, Grand Junction Colorado, Design New Classroom building, Design hybrid and borefield design. Development of Community Loop system for 4,700 connected tons, 16 buildings, 1.2MM^ft. Continuous expansion. Development team with Bill O’Donnell.
- Trainer Certified GeoExchange Designer (CGD) Course, Accredited Installers Trainer, Cary and John Turley are the authors of the commercial GSHP system Certified GeoExchange Inspector.
Professional Affiliations and Publications
- American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE): Numerous presentations and is a contributing author to the Applications Handbook, Geothermal chapter.
- Contributing Author NGWA Guidelines for Vertical Loop Installations
- IGSHPA: BOD Treasurer, Standards, Training, Course development and reviewer of CGD program. Member of CGD and CGI Certification Boards.
- ASHRAE: Past Chair TC 6.8 (Geothermal and Applied Heat Recovery), Chair MTG-ASEC (Avoided Site Energy Consumption), Member TC 6.7 “Solar”
- IAPMO 2018, 2021, and 2024 Technical Committee USEHC Code and UMC Code Development
- Utah BOD AEE Chapter
- AEE: Fellow and Founding member of AEE Utah